“There are things we can do to bring the escalating problem of cancer (pain) under control!”
- Listen to our patients.
- Believe our patients’ reports of pain.
- Ensure a balanced approach to the prescribing of opioids.
- Educate patients & families to overcome their fears of opioids.
- Remove unnecessary barriers to opioid prescribing include quantity of medications dispensed.
- Ensure palliative care is part of your government’s cancer control plan
- Educate patients & family to understand and prevent side effects of opioids.
- Effective use of both opioids and co-analgesics based on mechanism
- Treat severe pain as a medical emergency.
- Ensure palliative care is discussed at the UN Summit on Non communicable diseases in Sept, 2011.
Please add your suggestions for the Number 1 thing to do to bring the escalating problem of cancer pain under control!!!!
Previous posts about LifebeforeDeath Films.